January 30, 2008

On the road...By bus & train...


Went to Chennai on the 26th by an air conditioned bus from Bangalore, everyone seemed like they were freezing in the bus, but no one went upto the driver and asked him to either switch it off or reduce it. When I asked him, he mentioned that people will complain as they have paid for an A/C bus and expect it to be on all the time...Duh...

Stayed with an old friend and her family and spent some time in Spencer Plaza - the mall of madras - ate an Indian styled Pizza hut's pizza and went to the Marina beach. It was very windy and not to mention - the beach was full of trash. Plastic covers flying around like kites... The view of the ocean was of course very pleasing. Seems like I have lost the art of Ignoring- which is important to survive in India as I am seeing more and more dirty and inhuman conditions.

On the 27th, went to a place called "Dindigul" (around 400 kilometers) by train to meet an old school friend. Met him after 20 years. It was an amazing 2 days to catch up with him. Of course our lives are 180 degrees apart, but, nothing like catching up with someone whom you had studied from grade 1 to 6. What was also interesting is that he is incharge of the new highway projects and he took me around to show me the infrastructure behind laying roads. Got to see a lot of German machinery (from the company Voegel).

On the train to Dindigul, met a french couple (Isabelle and Francois) from Montreal and spoke to them in French for almost an hour. I should pat myself on the back as I only landed up speaking a few words in english, when I couldn't express myself in french. They were impressed too... Marrie-Lynne are you reading this... Merci Beaucoup.

I seem to be drifting away from my intended visit to India, but, since I can't ride a bike, and am tired of lying in bed, I am trying to make best use of time by travelling by buses and trains.

Hopefully, the second course of antibiotics I am currently taking will get me pedalling soon. I intend to atleast cycle 400 kilometers more to complete it off with a decent number...1000 kilometers...

Back in Chennai on the 30th and will be withdrawing into a J. Krishnamurty's study centre for a day or two and will be flying to Bombay (oops Mumbai).

Until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bala,

I wish you the best for the rest of your journey -

Keep your eyes open and let life surprise you, whether pedalling or not!