January 25, 2008

To continue or not to continue...

Thought I had fully recovered from the viral flue...It's been almost 8 days since I had fever on and off... finished a course of antibiotics... felt a bit better, so... started off from Bangalore on the 23rd morning. Couldn't start from the point I had stopped on the 13th of january, as it was 262 kilometers away and there was a taxi/lorry(truck) strike in India. Went on National Highway 7 and stopped at Hosur after almost 66 kilometers. Checked into a decent hotel... but there was no hot water ;=(

I felt feverish... ate something and slept. When I woke up in the evening, I still felt miserable, checked my temperature and it was 102 degrees. (39 degrees celsius). Struggled all night and the next morning, I took a taxi back to Bangalore as I saw no point in staying in a hotel. Two days later I am still feeling very weak. The temperature is back to normal this morning. Contemplating if i should call my cycling trip off. 6 months of preperation ... and only 6 days of cycling (621 kilometers) to make me wonder if i should continue... The soul's willing, but the body doesn't seem to co-operate ;-(

I would sound very very negative about Bangalore - also called "Garden city of India" as the entire Hosur road is under construction for the so called elevated highway project. I am not exeggarating when I write that I had to stop next to stopped trucks for shade as there wasn't a single tree where one could take shelter. The dust and the pollution makes me wonder if it's worth it and if I am only spoiling my health...

5 comments:

Chetan Kashikar said...

Don't give up hope buddy. You were planning to travel all the way from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

If you have the time do it!!!

Best Regards and Good luck and stay safe

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Don't give up Bala !!
Teh flue may have delayed you a fair bit, but it should not stop you from believing you can still achieve your goal.

Good luck and safe ride !
Clement

Anonymous said...

Don't give up Bala!
The flue may have delayed you a fair bit, but do not let it alter your belief in your ability to achieve what you came here for.

Keep the spirit!
Clement

Anonymous said...

I am home and sick too. You have my all sympathy.

Anonymous said...

Good idea to pick up an anti-pollution mask. Check this: http://mumbaicyclist.blogspot.com/2008/08/freedomride-067.html