January 7, 2008

First day of cycing...

Started off around 7 :15 from my sister's place. Two of my brothers accompanied me for some distance on a scooter and a motorcycle with their kids. Took some pictures in front of one of the colleges I studied. I plan to come back to talk to them as they have half yearly exams. A lot of cheering from crowds/people waiting at bus stops on the way, was really encouraging. It was more my trailer that was drawing a lot of attention. Nothing really noteworthy to write about, but, enjoyed all the little conversations with people on motorbikes and cars stopping to talking to me. Road kills that I saw included 3 dogs and a young calf. Stopped for the day after cycling 79 kilometers in Shadnagar. A very dusty and noisy little town. The people in the lodge (a cheap motel) were quite friendly. They insisted on carrying my stuff up into my room, which has bare walls, a broken window, a metal cot and a tap for cold water. Hot water seemed like a luxury, when I asked for it. I am pretty sue that the mosquitoes are going to feast on me tonight because of the broken window. I will stick to the national highway for now and plan to venture out into complete country side in a few days. Learnt not to trust the milestones that mention the distance to a town, nor my maps as they never matched. Signing off for now as I plan to start early tomorrow morning. I will also start visiting schools after few more days. Paypal - where donations can be made will also be online shortly... As of now, I plan to support Saanidhya - a school for mentally challenged kids as I felt they need help badly after my visit few days back. I will keep my eyes and ears open for an orphanage/organisation for street kids and then divert the funds to them.

5 comments:

ROhan said...

good stuff man.
Keep it up ;)

Anonymous said...

All the best for your tour! Will keep track of you and probably catch up when you are close to Bangalore!
Cheers,
Abhi

Gauthaman said...

All the best Bala.
- Gauthaman

Bhavik said...

You got to the starting point. the rest is only 20%. And dont forget to enjoy the hardships. go for it, good luck, b

Shree Kumar said...

hi Bala,

Nice to know you have started. Keep us posted on what happens. Expect the 'what's that' sort of questions everywhere(I'm sure you have learnt that by now)! You should be able to buy a new USB cable at any decent sized town I think...

Good luck!
--Shree